Yay!! Another day down :) taking things a day at a time is working well for me. Today I made my egg breakfast casserole except I made some changes to give it a little Mexican flair. I added some chopped bell peppers, chopped tomato, cumin, and chili powder to the other ingredients that I usually sauté before adding it to the beaten eggs. Delicious topped with some green salsa!!!
back to my topic I started on yesterday. The main goal in any diet should be to increase the leafy greens and vegetables. Eating 50-70% raw is even better. The more raw fruits and vegetables that one eats the more enzymes your body will receive. Enzymes are present in all living things, and when eating live foods (such as fresh fruits and vegetables) you receive that foods special combination of enzymes to help you digest and assimilate nutrients from the food. Heating foods above temperatures of about 108 degrees starts to kill these precious assets from the food, leaving less vitamins, and minerals that our body needs.
what does a day in Nutritarianism (click on the link to see the nutritarian pyramid) look like?
well, for breakfast I would make myself a giant green smoothie which includes a variety of green leafy veggies and fruit (ugly looking, but surprisingly delicious). For a snack some soaked raw almonds or piece of fruit. For lunch a big salad with lots of assorted colorful fresh veggies and a nice scoop of beans. For dinner steamed veggies such as Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, etc...) side salad, veggie soup.
In a day you want to be consuming about 2 pounds of vegetables a day (it sounds like a lot, but it's surprisingly do-able). You want the foods you consume to be "nutrient dense", meaning lots of nutrients per calorie. For instance, 100 calories of spinach is going to give you loads of vitamin A, protein, fiber, calcium, iron... The list goes on, plus 100 calories of the stuff will fill up your tummy meaning less room for junk. On the other hand 100 calories of a piece of steak or chicken will give protein, and some iron, and B12's, but it is seriously lacking in any other vitamins and minerals... And think about it, 100 calories of steak = lots more room in the belly. Also, I will add, 100 calories of spinach has almost double the protein of 100 calories of steak... hmmmm. In a nutritarian lifestyle you try to keep the animal products down to about 1-4 ounces a day (if any at all.). It is a mostly vegan way of eating and the science behind it is eye opening.
what I like about nutritarianism is it makes sense. There is science to back it up. I don't believe we as humans are made to be completely vegan, as a serious B12 deficiency could result unless supplemented. I do however believe that the SAD (standard American diet) contains WAY too many animal products. The American way of eating animal products every day and with almost every meal is destroying our health, and the environment.
So, as I am on this candida diet I have had to exclude ALL grains (even quinoa, brown rice, etc.), beans, fruit and starchy veggies, I am getting a lot less protein from plants than I was before. I still eat a giant salad every day, and a few big handfulls of fresh baby spinach with my breakfast, and a big steaming bowl of steamed broccoli and Brussels sprouts every day. But I very much miss the green smoothies!!! I loved the energy they gave me and their fruity taste. I remind myself that once I am done with these 6 weeks (which really isn't that long in the big picture), I can slowly return to my full nutritarian lifestyle.
I never had issues with craving unhealthy foods when I was eating a nutritarian diet. I could eat lots of yummy whole food desserts and felt great. Also, after the first initial 6 week cleansing of food addictions you can allow yourself 100 calories of WHATEVER you want, be it a cookie, small doughnut, etc... I find this candida diet makes me feel a little more sluggish as I know I am eating more fat and animal products than I should. But like I said earlier, this is for healing purposes, and not long term. I will be able to beat this candida and get back to my full nutritarian lifestyle before I know it :)
If you have the time check this out!
Thoughtful Thursday quote of the day:
"Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing."
~Thomas Jefferson
Do you find yourself needing more time in your day? That quote definitely inspired me :)
No comments:
Post a Comment