Hello! Today went great! Like I promised yesterday I said I would be sharing what I feel is one of the healthiest ways to eat. I will start by saying that everyone is different, and there are a lot of factors that go into choosing and deciding what eating style is right for you. Main point: Eat WHOLE foods! Any diet you choose to do, whether it be high carb, low carb, high protein, low protein, etc... the foods that you choose to eat should always start out whole, and if it is a packaged food, make sure it has less than 3 ingredients and that those ingredients are recognizable. If eating meat and you can afford it, try to get organic grass fed beef, and organic grain fed and green fed chicken, pork, etc.
Taking these steps in any diet will promote health and most likely weight loss, as our bodies know what to do with foods as close to nature as possible. However, our bodies do not know what to do with the likes of: anything containing trans fat (oh, and just because you read "0 grams trans fat" doesn't mean it doesn't contain them... if in the ingredients list you see anything like partially hydrogenated oil, that is a trans fat, and it is poison to your body.) Food companies don't have to list trans fat as long as it is under .5 grams per serving... so you eat the whole candy bar, or even some of those weight loss bars or Ritz crackers out there and you could be eating 1-3 grams easily. Any food that is fried in hot oil is going to be dangerous to your health as well. Heating oils at high temps actually makes them a carcinogen which is a cancer causing substance. Sugar.... I could go on for a LONG time about the dangers of sugar. I will save that for another post. But to make it short, eating ONLY natural sugars found in fruits and vegetables are the best way to feed a sweet tooth and remain healthy and happy.
Now, what I have found works best for me (and also with all my readings, I believe most people would benefit from as well), is something called a "nutritarian lifestyle". There is a book called "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman that is great reading for learning about nutrition and ways to heal the body of Diabetes, heart disease, etc... It included a large amount of research and studies that show the impact of what good and bad eating does to our bodies.
I thrived eating mostly according to the plans outlined in that book. The only minor additions I felt my body needed was a little bit more protein than outlined in the plan... but not much more. It explains something called the 80-10-10 diet, which is 80% of your total calories in a day coming from healthy carbohydrates, 10% from protein, and 10% from healthy fats. I felt amazing eating this way but I did feel a little more energy and strength when I added in a little more eggs to my diet than suggested in his plan. So what I have found works best for me is more like a 75-15-10.
But, the time is already 10:23 and I need some sleep, so I will be adding more to this tomorrow.
Quick healthy tip for the day:
Instead of tortilla chips fried in oil, try what I call Tortilla Chips Without the Hips
I made them today, easy as could be :) Goes great with some homemade salsa!!!
Get some good natural whole grain corn tortillas
pre-heat oven to 400
cut tortillas into chip like shapes
place on baking sheet in single layer
bake until golden and crispy like chips
flipping them halfway through works great too, just make sure not to burn them.
all the crisp, without the fat :)
No comments:
Post a Comment