Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day 3

Good day today! Still need to work on my peanut butter addiction though. I do however give myself props for opening the fridge bofite dinner, grabbing the jar of peanut butter, but then putting it back before eating any more for the day. I did some push-ups instead :) that is something I am doing to realize how often I go to food just to mindlessly snack when I am not truly hungry. Before I eat something or feel like I am beginning to binge on something (like peanut butter), I get down and do 20 pushups. Then, if I still feel like eating, I can, but it has helped me choose healthier options and helps me to see food for what it is.
food is something that gives our bodies energy and health (if used correctly), problem is that our society has made food something that zaps our energy and crushes our health. Not only is it physically addicting, but it's also psycologically something we use as rewards, covers for emotions, and we also link it to memories. While I have been on this health escapade I have found that preparing, eating, and learning about foods and it's health benefits (or detrimental qualities) is actually pretty easy. It's getting past the emotional attatchments to food that has been the pebble in my shoe.
As a child I remember happily accepting rewards of candy and treats for good behavior, or achievements. It's only natural that I am now programed to think that any time I do something out of the ordinary or even just good, that I deserve some kind of treat (in the form of a non health forming food). I also remember the sweet consoling taste of chocolate as I cried my heart out with each break-up I encountered in my dating years. So, naturally what do I want when I get sad or stressed out? Usually something full of fat and chocolate and salt and sugar.
I have come to realize that the way I (and probably many of us Americans)think and use food, is used for a lot of the wrong reasons. I am not saying that it isn't okay to enjoy a dessert once in a while, but what I am saying is that I need to change what emotions I am linking with food.
Doing this Candida Diet has been tricky, since it limits (or I should say, completely takes away) the foods that I use as little rewards or to eat my feelings with. Now I am left with finding other ways to cope with boredom, stress, etc... Not easy, but I am glad to go through it as I don't think food should be my go-to activity at those times. Not only is it not nessesary, but if I do use food as a coping strategy or reward, I am also followed by a nice heaping helping of guilt as the end result.
it's funny because now that I know better when it comes to nutrition and what actually is healthy I find the guilt is much easier to come by. Before, I could eat a cookie knowing it wasn't good for me, and that was that. Now, eating a cookie means I get to remind myself of all the reasons WHY cookies aren't good for me. I feel that our educational system lacks in explaining the WHY's when it comes to food choices, whether they be good or bad for you.
Anyway, on to my breakfast:
Breakfast egg cassarole: easy, delicious, candida diet approved :)

10 eggs
3 zucchini chopped
1/2 med onion chopped
4 sundried tomato's soaked in warm water 10 mins then drained and chopped.
3 large cloves of garlic minced (i lovr garlic!)
A couple handfuls of spinach
A few dashes of Italian seasoning

Saute veggies (except spinach) and garlic in small amount of water (like 1-2 tablespoons)on medium high heat until tender, adding water as needed to prevent sticking. Add spinach and sauté with veggies until wilted (about 1-2 mins). Beat eggs well in large mixing bowl. Add sautéd veggies to eggs and mix. Pour into a lightly greased 7 by 11 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes (or until cooked through).

Elizabeth loved this and kept comming back for more bites. You could add some salt as well but I am trying to tajenit easy on the salt lately :)

Well, another day down, and another day closer to eating the way I really feel is most healthful... I'll talk about that tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Renee, I love posts like this! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Shelley! I really enjoy writing about all this :)
    I will be able to add pictures of the recipes once our other laptop is fixed, yay!

    ReplyDelete