Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 12 Chia seed pudding :) and the thoughtful Thursday quote of the day

  Well, you cant expect a woman with a toddler and a husband and a house to clean, to be able to realistically do a blog post every day can you?  I give props to any one who can.  This week has gone by so fast, just like the last one.  I don't know if it is because I have gotten busier, but I like it.  It makes me feel like I get to go on date night with Eric way more than once a week (even though that is how often it happens).  Today has been one of those "great days", where everything that I want from myself I accomplish and it just makes the day feel so much more fulfilling.  I have been thinking a lot about the quote that I had written last week about getting things done, or having a lack of time. It has really helped me to understand more that if we use our time wisely we then are able to do the things we think "I wish I had more time so I could...". 
  My candida diet is going well and I have to say that today is probably the best day I have had diet wise in terms of attitude and emotion since I have started.  I have been reminding myself how blessed I am to know what is causing my health problems, knowing how to fix it, and being able to do so.  When I think about it in those terms I can then feel good, and find way more enjoyment out of my meals.
  Today I went to lunch with some of the greatest women you could know.  I serve with them in the primary in our church, and they are great examples and friends to have in ones circle.  It was celebrating a birthday and also the departure of one who will be moving sometime this month.  It will be sad to see her leave, but the Lord has a plan for us, and she is following it.  We went to Pita Pit and it was SOOOOO good!  I got a Garden Salad and topped it with TONS of veggies!  One thing I love about salads is that you can have a giant one, get full, and not have to worry about any guilt (granted, you have to watch the dressing if you choose to have some).  I got a buy one get one 1/2 off coupon and I was thrilled!!! Coupons are the #1 way I can get my husband to go somewhere to eat out, and after eating that salad today I'm going to want to revisit it again soon!
  I brought my Almond Joy Chia Seed Pudding (recipe to follow) to the lunch for dessert, the birthday girl isn't eating any sweets (you know, the real kind of sweets, unmentionables like brownies, cookies, pies, etc...), I was excited because I always love making something yummy and bringing it and having people enjoy it without having to feel like they have "cheated" or ruined their diet.  I also enjoy making things that I can eat that don't ruin my diet while satisfying my sweet tooth (or you could make that plural).
  With no further adieu here is my recipe

Almond Joy Chia Seed Pudding (no sugar, no starch, no guilt, bonus points for omega 3's)

-1/3 C Chia Seeds
-1-1 1/2 Cups of unsweetened almond milk (depending on how thick you want your pudding, less milk=thicker pudding... I used about 1 1/3 C)
-1 T of toasted or raw carob powder (I use toasted for treats, it has a better flavor, but raw would still be great)
-1/2 C ground raw almonds
-1/2 C dried coconut (the kind at the health food store in bulk, not the chemically treated stuff, the only ingredient should be coconut)
-small handful of sunflower seeds maybe 1/4 C (what? I don't always measure when I am creating masterpieces)
-A few dashes of cinnamon

-a couple pinches of stevia powder for sweetness (to taste)

In a medium sized mixing bowl mix chia seeds, sunflower seeds, ground almonds, cinnamon, carob powder, stevia (start with less, add more as last step if needed), coconut, together until well blended.  Add the almond milk and stir well.  Place bowl in refrigerator for 5-10 minutes or until ready to serve.  And there you have it! Good for you dessert that I might just be eating with my breakfast every morning.

*Variation-  If you are more of a Reese's PB cup person, you can change the recipe a little by instead of adding the coconut and cinnamon just add a nice Tablespoon (or 2 or 3, depends on how nutty you are) of some chunky natural peanut butter to the pudding after adding the milk.  Enjoy :)

Thoughtful Thursday quote of the day:
"Try not to become a man of success but a man of value."
Albert Einstein

P.S. Picture of recipe above will be added as soon as we get our other laptop up and running again.

No comments:

Post a Comment