Monday, June 13, 2011

21 day challenge is OVER... and another meatless monday

Hello!
Well, my 21 day challenge to change my mindset and attitude about food went well.  I say well because I know it could have been better, but that's the fun part about learning and growing I guess, Its a journey.  The emotions I have had connected with food since I was a little girl I don't think can be changed in 21 days, but I do believe it is one good leap in my steps toward healing.  My candida diet is going well and minus a minor (very minor, like a tiny bite of my peanut butter honey bites... recipe will be posted in the next few days) slip up.  If you have noticed I added a couple pages to my blog, both of which I have yet to compose, but stay tuned because they are going to be really great.  I think I did a lot of soul searching in the last 21 days and have somewhat an idea of why I turn to food at times when I could be just enjoying other aspects of life.  Which I will save all of that for another post sometime hopefully this week.
  But to continue my meatless vegan Monday recipe this week I have one of our very favorite dishes to share.  In fact, I have to make this meal at least once a week because if I wait too long in between making it Eric will eat so much in one sitting that he makes himself sick (talk about eating issues, ;) )  However, Eric works hard, is super trim and healthy, and could probably use those extra calories once in a while... although, the making himself sick part we should work on.  Anyway, I hope that gives a good indication of how good this recipe is.

Meatless Vegan Monday

Tamale Pie
    I came across the original (not vegan) recipe for this in a Taste of Home magazine (my mom Stacey sends it to me, I love it, although the healthier recipes are harder to come by, I find lots of ways to adapt them to our diet.)
  The cornbread in the original recipe is from a box, but I found this vegan agave cornbread muffin recipe from allrecipes.com and it works perfectly (and much more healthfully).
  And again, this one is not safe for the candida diet in the earlier stages, next week I promise to post a good vegan meal that is Candida diet approved.

Ingredients

Bean Mixture

  • 2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 cans of your favorite beans (I use a combo of kidney, black and pinto beans) rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
  • 1 can or (11 ounces of frozen, that is what I use) whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
  • 2 large cloves of garlic (minced)
 
Cornbread mixture
  • 1/2 cup corn meal
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 cup non dairy milk (I use unsweetened almond or coconut)
  • 1/4 cup agave (I have substituted honey before and Eric liked it better, I just used a little less)
  • 2 T oil (melted coconut or canola)
Directions:

  Place bean mixture (rinsed and drained beans, corn, tomato's, onion, cilantro, enchilada sauce, garlic and spices) in the crock pot stir it up and set to low heat for 4-6 hours.   Stir together dry cornbread ingredients then add the applesauce, milk, agave, and while stirring add the oil at the end. Pour the cornbread mixture over the bean mixture in the crock pot as evenly as possible to cover (it will rise and expand so if it doesn't quite cover it all that's alright).  Cover back up and allow to cook for 1 more hour still on low setting.   I usually start the cornbread mixture 1 hour and 30 minutes before I want it to be done, that way it gives me 30 minutes to get it mixed and poured on the bean mixture (I have to take some toddler breaks).


When finished scoop out of the crock pot and enjoy with a nice big fresh romaine salad!
Easy, easy, easy and very delicious!
I have a thing for Mexican food, so don't be surprised if a lot of my recipes have some sort of Mexican flair to them.
  Well, here is a start to a new week!
Live Stronger :)
    

No comments:

Post a Comment