Tuesday, August 24, 2010

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!

So... That has been my goal as of yesterday.  Already had some trouble but I'm working on it :)  I really wanted to be in a bad mood today to be completely honest.  I have been struggling with a few things as of late, and have been feeling like I'm being challenged to my breaking point.  Then, I wake up to Elizabeth smiling at me and so eager to learn and have a good day... How could I have a bad attitude with that little face looking at me?  Then I went to Yoga class!  Delightful in every way... working out plus relaxing all at the same time!  Then on the drive home I saw something that brought tears to my eyes.  A mother and father out in the front yard with their son who was in a wheelchair that was probably around 7 years old.  The son was trying so hard to hold up a baseball bat and the dad was pitching to him.  What a beautiful thing to see a family make the best of what could be a hard situation.  The part that got me was the two smiles radiating from both the father and son as they were having fun playing baseball.  It was as if for that time they could forget about the things standing in their way, and just have fun.  I know a little background on this family as they just live a little bit down the street from my mother.  About 4 years ago their family was outside playing in the front yard when they noticed all of a sudden that their 2 year old son was not moving.  If I remember correctly he had experienced a brain aneurysm.  Thankfully he lived but now he is bound to a wheelchair.  What love I see from those parents as they try so hard to have that boy experience and do things that any other child could be doing.  Its a rare thing for me now to even see a family playing catch outside together, so seeing this was so beautiful to me.  How important it is to spend time with the ones we love, not just sitting around a television, but actually bonding and playing together. 
  Yesterday Elizabeth did something so cute I couldn't hardly stand it.  As I was getting ready to head of to the gym I was putting my headband on when Eric tells me to turn around and look at Elizabeth.  There she was, standing (cause she is now currently a pro walker) looking at me with another one of my headbands around her face.  She was trying to put the headband on, just like me!  So cute!  It's those little moments that I love!
  To go on about another thing that I love... I have been co-sleeping with Elizabeth since she was born.  I have loved it in mostly every way (waking up in a weird protective/uncomfortable position would be the only thing I dislike.)  Since she was born she let me know instantly that she was not going to be one of those babies that you put to sleep drowsy but awake, tried it, there was NO way that she was going to do that.  So, I nursed her and bounced her to sleep EVERY time she went to sleep.  Granted, the bouncing probably helped in terms on post baby body fat since she never just let me rock her to sleep gently in a rocking chair.  I have been in constant movement with that child since the day she was born.  Not complaining though, cause thats the kind of person I want to be anyway (but come on, we all want to just sit down once in a while :)  Anyway, about 4 days ago she made it known that she was no longer going to nurse or be walked to sleep anymore.  What was I going to do!  Well, I moved her crib into our room, took the front side off (its converted into a toddler bed now), and made it flush with our bed.  Then, I had to just lay there with her and let her fall asleep with me next to her.  Was she happy with this?  NO!  The only thing that got me through all her crying was trying to apply a little churchy thought to what I was doing.  I thought about how our Heavenly Father is always there for us, a perfect example of a parent who loves his children.  If we stand in need of comfort he is there for us.  Well, there are times though that we have to learn (like, for a baby, learning how to fall asleep on our own), and these learning experiences might not be easy, but he is still there for us.  So, I figured, as long as I am with her, and there to comfort her through this hardship she will be able to learn and not be afraid cause she knows I will be there to give her hugs and kisses if she needs them.  Did this help her? Not at first at least... But what happened today was amazing.  I nursed her and took her into our room, laid her in her bed and snuggled up to her.  And guess what?  She just closed her eyes and went to sleep!  No crying or anything!  I am amazed and extremely grateful cause walking a 21 pound baby in an Ergo for 40 mins can be very exhausting.  Laying in a crib next to her though, very nice. 
  Another thing I would like to add that I liked about today was the time just before writing this when I sat down ate my walnuts, dark chocolate, and took my calcium.  lol!  I'll explain that a little bit more in detail.  I love learning about health and recently I have learned that Calcium can make you a little sleepy, so take it at night.  Another great thing I learned is that Vitamin D (which aids in Calcium absorption.) is a fat soluble vitamin.  Sooooo, taking your calcium/vitamin D with a little snack that includes some healthy fat is going to improve its ability to work for you.  What a great excuse to eat some dark chocolate before bed!  I know people say "don't eat after 8pm... blah blah blah" but honestly, Ive been doing this for a few weeks now and feel great!  Alright well... thats enough for tonight! 
TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment